Things are heating up and it’s looking to be a hot summer! Kids are off school for their summer break and most of us have scheduled our vacation around this time. So for this July long weekend, there are some important sun essentials you need to have. Wherever you plan on going, make sure you go through this checklist so you’re sun ready!
1. Sunscreen — This should be used all year round. The recommended amount is SPF 15 and can vary depending on how fast your skin burns after sun exposure. Reapply at least every 2 hours. I recommend Pur-lisse SPF 30. It’s free of parabens and fragrance. I received a sample of this from my Ipsy Glam Bag subscription and it’s great. The moisturizer is non-sticky, lightweight and one of the only sunscreen products I’ve used on my face that doesn’t bring out my pores.
2. Sunglasses — protect your eyes from the sun and invest in good eyewear. The most important things to look for in sunglasses are:
- 100% UVA/UVB protection
- Sufficient size to cover the entire eye area
- Polarized lenses- to eliminate glare which will prevent headaches and migraines
3. Hats — that have a large enough brim to cover your face from the sun. Ideally 3″ or more.
4. Blotting Paper — for the ladies who don’t want their makeup melting off their face, these blotters are the perfect solution for keeping you fresh and less oily. But not just oil, you can also blot off your sweat or any unwanted moisture from your face. Which means men can use them too! Sephora carries a variety of blotting papers from different brands.
5. Tanning Lotion or Bronzer — a healthier alternative to achieving that summer glow without the skin-damaging side effects from baking out on the sun. My favorite is the Too Faced Tanning Bed in a Tube. Having a tanned complexion already, I still like to have the evened out bronze look all over. This tanning lotion applies easily, smells great (to me anyway) and gives off a nice bronzey glow without looking too orange. Unfortunately, this is no longer available but Too Faced came out with the Royal Oil Coconut Oil Body Bronzer. For other alternatives click here.
6. Tinted Moisturizer — Perfect for quick application when you just don’t have time to put on makeup. I recommend the Algenist Repairing tint & Radiance Moisturizer SPF 30. It helps improve your skin texture, provides broad-spectrum sun protection and evens out your skin tone with 4 different shades to choose from.
7. Cellulite Cream — Look amazing on those short shorts, crop tops, and sleeveless tanks. Prep your skin by applying and massaging in a cellulite cream every night or right after showers on your thighs, abs and arms. Gel-V has been my go-to gel and found it more effective than most cellulite creams I’ve tried. It contains menthol, camphor, and seaweed which are effective in reducing the appearance of cellulite. Read my review here. Share the love and use referral code: trendme
8. Scorpion Brush or Massaging Applicator — Use this with your cellulite cream to help massage areas of your body. The massaging effects help with blood circulation allowing products to be penetrated better. Alternatively, make a ‘loose’ fist and use your knuckles as a massager.
10. Water or Sports Drinks — Keep yourself hydrated!!! Avoid sunstroke and body overheating by keeping yourself hydrated at all times. Water is your best friend. If you are more active, reach for those sports drinks that contain electrolytes so they can replenish the potassium and sodium that your body loses when you perspire. This will also help prevent your muscles from cramping. Try to stay away from beverages that make you more dehydrated- like coffee and alcohol.
Now that you’ve got your summer checklist ready, get out there and enjoy the sun safely! Happy Canada Day and Happy Independence Day to our neighbors to the South!